Newton (Auburndale, Lower Falls, Waban) PorchFest FAQ for Musicians
- What is PorchFest?
- PorchFest is an afternoon of free music performed outside of people’s homes. Over 100 cities across the country hold PorchFests.
For 2019, Newton PorchFest will expand to the villages of Auburndale, Lower Falls and Waban.
June 1st, 12:00 - 6:00.
that often underused space, the front porch, (driveways and lawns too!) will become the stage for bands, singers, and instrumentalists. All musicians, professionals, amateurs, and everything in between, perform voluntarily at a designated time and location. Attendees stroll from venue to venue, in order to hear the music of their choice.
- Where in Newton will this take place?
For this second Newton PorchFest, we're expanding the neighborhoods to Auburndale, Lower Falls and Waban. We hope to expand this further in future years!
- What kind of musical groups can perform?
- Any and all groups are welcome! You can play an instrument, sign, play solo or part of a group. All types of music are welcome too!
- Do I need to be from Newton to perform?
- No. Porch owners must be in designated Newton neighborhoods. Musical groups do not.
- Will I be paid?
- PorchFest is free! Musicians donate their time. Porch owners donate their porch, lawn or patio as a performance space.
- Can musicians sell CDs or other merch?
- Sales are not permitted, but can be made available with a suggested donation or with the porch owner’s permission.
- How long should I play for?
Sign up slots are anywhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours. Some of that time will be used for set up and breakdown.
- How loud can I play?
- Performances should be acoustic or near acoustic or not excessively amplified. Think stripped down sound and equipment needs. The goal is to be heard to the sidewalk, but not down the street. There will be other bands nearby, (and a few sleeping babies!), so please be respectful.
- Should I bring my own water or other refreshments?
- Yes, we’ll ask Porch owners to provide water but it won’t be required. See below for more info about what is and isn’t required by porch owners.
- Should I bring my own equipment?
- Absolutely! Organizers and porch owners will not provide equipment. Porch owners will provide electrical outlets. You’ll need to talk logistics with porch owners before the performance date. The organizers will be sure to put you in touch!
- Will I be performing on a porch?
- Probably, but any outdoor space can be used, including a porch, patio, stoop, lawn or garage.
- How will I know where I’m performing?
- Once sign-up is complete, we’ll be contacting you to let you know where you’ll be performing and connect you with the porch owner so logistics for the day can be worked out directly with them.
- Who will advertise my performance?
- We’re being supported by Newton Community Pride, and we’re part of the Newton’s Festival of the Arts, so you’ll get press via those groups. In addition, we’ll be active on social media. Providing links to your web or FB page will help us get the word out. We’ll request porch owners promote performances to neighbors, friends, and coworkers. You should do the same. Anything you can do to promote your performance is recommended!
- What about parking?
- Parking may be difficult, depending on the porch location. Arrive early and be prepared to walk. You can drop equipment, but depending on where the porch is located, you may need to park elsewhere.
- I have other questions, who do I contact?
- Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.